WHAT IS D1space?


The Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) Order 1987 (as amended) puts uses of land and buildings into various categories known as ‘Use Classes’. This Order is periodically amended.


1. Art Gallery​

2. Clinic / Health Clinic​

3. Creche / Day Nursery

4. Day Centre​

5. Hall​​

6. Law Court​

7. Museum / Library​​

8. Non-Residential Education & Training Centres​​​

9. Place of Worship / Church Hall​

10. School / Academy

It is generally the case that you will need planning permission to change from one use class to another, although there are exceptions where the legislation does allow some changes between uses.
For example, A3 uses can change to A1 uses without the need for planning permission. However, if you are proposing to change the use of a premises or land, you should always seek advice from the local planning authority to confirm whether planning permission is required or not.
d1space.co.uk works with a number of different consultants on behalf of clients and can make recommendations in this regard.